Thursday, May 5, 2011

Cultural Management

For the past one (1) month, I have been meeting training providers to help us customize our in-house training program on Project Management. In one of the modules, we indicated that we need to impart the participants four (4) competency which were (i) Negotiation; (ii) Leadership; (iii) Organizational Effectiveness (at Personal Level); and (iv) Culture.

Most training providers were very comfortable with three (3) of the competencies but not "Culture". Most training provider find it hard to conduct training on Culture. This was an eye opening for me - suddenly I felt that I was very lucky to be exposed to cultural management during my years of HR professional career.

1997 - my first encounter about culture management was at my MBA class where I was introduced to "Geert Hofstede's Cultural Dimensions"; 

Between 1996 and 2000, while working at a manufacturing plant, I had the opportunity to be exposed to Bangladeshis culture as the company hired a lot of Bangladeshis as there production workers; 

From 2000 to 2005, I spend a lot of time on organizational culture change management when the Japanese company I worked with wanted to change the business model. We found out that in order to be successful in our change model - the management need to introduce "western" management and working culture mindset. 

April 2005 to December 2007 - after been transferred to the APAC regional head-office as the regional HR manager - I was introduced to a reading material from University of Toyota entitled "Work Effectively Across Culture". This time I was responsible for Japanese expat orientation program and a lot of effort was develop to educate the Japanese expat on the differences between Asian and Japanese culture and practices. 

2008 to 2009, I focus most of my time on post M&A initiative and had the opportunity to observe two (2) large organizational culture that was very different in nature. One was very structure and process driven while the other one was very informal driven and has not respect for SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) ... clash of the titans! 

2010 until now ... I had the opportunity to work with global consulting firm like Lee Hecht Harrison and Jitsker Kramer, founder of Human Dimension. 

Listed below are some of the resources available: -

1) Geert Hofstede Culturer Dimension


2) Terri Morrison & Wayne A Conaway (2006) - "Kiss, Bow or Shake Hands" 


3) Jitske Kramer (2009) - "Managing Culture Dynamics"

4) Lee Hecht Harrison Singapore Website
http://www.lhh.com.sg/




No comments:

Post a Comment